16 month old child, foul smell from nose, cough, catarrh cold. Cure for symptoms?

good afternoon, my 16 mth old son has a head cold and when he coughs you can hear it also on his chest. When he breaths i can smell a smelly odor coming fro his nose because at first i thought it was his mouth so i brushed his teeth but still i can smell it, Then i smelt his nose and the smell was from there. I spoke with my mum who said he could have catarrh cold do you think this is the case and if so how can i cure it.
Asked On : Wed, 3 Oct 2012