130 over 90 blood pressure. Is it normal?

im 43 ,work out,nonsmoker y would my blood pressure be diet isnt that bad
Asked On : Mon, 14 Dec 2009
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Your BP of 130/90 is considered borderline high. I would recommend taking at least five blood pressure recordings on different days, and at different times, then take an average of the systolic (top number) and diastolic (bottom number). If the average is greater than 130/90, you shold take a hard look at what's causing it. Do you eat foods with a lot of Sodium? Are you overweight? Do you have diabetes? Do you have kidney problems? Do you take medicines (prescription or OTC) that raise your BP? Do you have a lot of stress or anxiety? Do you snore?
But please remember that blood pressure is only ONE risk factor for heart attack and stroke. There are some we can't control (Family history, Age, Sex). However there are some that we can control/modify (Smoking, Weight, Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, Sleep Apnea, Diabetes). It sounds like you are trying to do what you can to control your modifiable risk factors, but sometimes we need a little more help. This can either be with counsel from a doctor or nutritionist, or with prescription medications. Good luck!
Salt may be your problem, as so much of the food we eat is loaded with sodium, and high sodium intake raises blood pressure. All processed meats, tuna fish, canned soups and even canned vegetables have a tremendous amount of sodium. Eat raw and fresh for a month and this will help lower your sodium. Visit your local farmers market, avoid canned foods, lunch meats and all high sodium foods. give it a month to work, and then check your blood pressure.