13 year old breaking out in red itchy splotches that turn into enormous welts all over the body. Possible causes ?

My 13 year old son has been breaking out in red itchy splotches that turn into enormous welts. They re all over his body, but mostly on his legs, forearms and feet . When the swelling and itching subsides (after multiple doses of Benedryl and topical cream) the original red splotch stays behind as a dark red bruise . I took him to the ER on Friday because it had become unbearable for him. One of his feet had swelled up so much and was tender to the touch. He couldn t walk, bend his toes or stand for it to be touched without excruciating pain. In the ER all tests (blood, urine and chest xray ) came back normal so we were told to follow up with his pediatrician tomorrow, which I plan to do. But now they re starting to come back again and I m anxious for any and all professional opinions I can find! Please help if you can!
Asked On : Thu, 29 Nov 2012