11 year old lost baby tooth. Flesh hanging near the permanent tooth. Is this serious?

My daughter who is 11 has just lost her baby tooth ( first one next to the molar tooth). There is something that looks like a piece of flesh on one side of her permanent tooth, which is fully out. First, I thought it might have been a piece of food, tried to gently remove it, but she said it was painful, and I did not want to touch it any more. I phoned my dentist , and he will try to make an appointment for tomorrow. Is this something serious/dangerous, something I should be worried about. It is 15 min. past midnight where I am, but I cannot sleep, I am so worried.
Sleepless and concerned mom.
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013