11 month old having sleeping problems, given phenergan atleast 2 times a week. Is it safe ?

Have a 11 month old son who has never slept well. Dr prescribed phenergan to give when things get a bit too much. My Mrs gives it to our son up to 2 times a week. I really dont like her doing it but she gets very defensive when I object. Are we doing him any harm? I know she is very tired as well. She hasnt slept properly since we brought him home. Am worried about them both. Is Phenergan safe for my baby? Please Advise...
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
The developmental reorganization around 9 months of age in children, the development of separation anxiety leads to further decrease in sleep duration in this age children.
Interacting with the kid in day time by play, engaging him in activity like in picture books and toys during day time will cut down his day sleep and he will sleep more in the night.
Introducing transitional objects like a favorite teddy bear or blanket may alleviate separation fear during night and there will be no frequent wake ups during night.
Phenergan is safe but it should be used whenever there is a clinical indication but not exclusively for sedation.
Hope i have answered your query.
Pediatrician Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal's  Response

Thank you for your query.

Babies do have erratic sleeping hours and will have their quota of sleep. Day and night is for us adults and not for children. There is no harm in giving Phenargan but that is not the solution. The baby should be gradually encouraged to keep awake during the day hours. During night time lights should be dimmed and activities reduced so that your son sleeps. This is going to happen gradually over a period of 1-2 months. This way both mother and child shall be comfortable.

You need to sit down with your wife and discuss with her the issues and she will understand to your logic.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best.

Pediatrician Dr. Synthyia Bhagat's  Response
Sleeping patterns need time to establish .Such behavior is normal in an infant,
There is no harm in giving phenargan but it cannot be used more frequently for sedation.
I feel both of you should spend time with your baby,it has to be a shared responsibility,
i understand condition of your wife child rearing needs a lot of patience,
Engage him in playful activities during daytime,during night there should not be any disturbance.late night tv,other gadgets they distract young child,
It will take sometime for him to follow a routine.

God bless