1 year child diagnosed with chronic hives all over body. Will atarax helps to cure chronic hives?

Hello, My son just turned one, and as been recently diagnosed with a case of chronic hives . He has had them since 6 months. They appear all over his body, but mainly on his legs, arms, and tummy. Fortunately, they are not that itchy. He has been taking atarax daily for a 5 weeks (3 mg 3x a day for 2 weeks, 2x a day for 3 weeks ). The hives have decreased by about 30%. His doctor wants to continue him on the atarax (5 mg daily), but I just wanted to know if this will help his hives go away eventually. If it is just for itching, then I m not sure if he needs the meds.
Asked On : Thu, 12 Jul 2012