1 month old with fluctuating temperatures, stool test showed pus cells, trace of reducing substance, mucus. Analysis?

hi i have a month old baby who has been running fluctuating tmrperature from 3 weeks in the range of 98.6 to 100.6 F and his stool tesst shows pus cells a fair number even after been given the antibiotic Taximo and walamycin, PH of 6.2 and reducing substance present a trace and Mucus (+).. his culture of stool is however clear... please let me know what is the analysis
Asked On : Mon, 10 Sep 2012
Pediatrician, Cardiology 's  Response
Thanks for the query
Presence of pus cells in fair no. suggests infection. Trace reducing substance in stool is normal finding, if it is more than or equal to 3+ then further evaluation is needed. pH more than 5.5 on cow's milk and 5 on breast milk is also normal. Trace mucus is important as it is associated with plenty of pus cells, otherwise this is also normal. If feeding is normal and baby is active and there are no other obvious symptoms so one should try to find the source of fever and by that time managing it with antipyratics only. She has already received a course of antibiotic so I would suggest you to repeat the stool test and consult a pediatrician so that he will recommend some useful investigations to rule out infection.
I hope this answers your query well
Wish you and your family good health
With regards