what are the treatment options for rhinitis ? are there

Question
what are the treatment options for rhinitis ? are there any prevention measures for this ? He has been having this condition for past 10 years, is there any permanent cure ?
Posted 6 days ago in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depend on the cause....

Detailed Answer:

Treatment of rhinitis is entirely dependent on the cause. You should discuss with his treating doctor about the cause of long-standing rhinitis. The cause may be allergic, medication-induced or vasomotor. Besides some preexisting nasal condition may mimic rhinitis and needs to be evaluated. Therefore, in my opinion, he should consult an ENT surgeon before we organise treatment options.

In the meanwhile I suggest the following preventive measures:
1. Avoid exposure to dust and cold weather.
2. Stay away from cold and refrigerated food/drinks.
3. Stop excessive use of over the counter medications if any.
4. Remain properly hydrated.

Permanent solution if any can be discussed after we know the cause of rhinitis.

Hope this answered all your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: what are the treatment options for rhinitis ? are there 8 hours later
Dear Dr.thank you for your immediate response.My son's Rhinitis is diagnosed to be allergy induced.During summer he is better but during autumn and winter,symptoms are aggravated. There is a pattern of allergy symptoms to chilness and dust.He is not under any medication for Rhinitis for a few years now.Kindly advise the next course of treatment.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
ENT consult will help...

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for providing these details. It helps me narrow down on the treatment options.

It seems like your son is suffering with seasonal allergies. How severe are his symptoms? And can you describe his typical allergic event?
Though there are immunotherapy option which are meant to desensitize body to causative allergens, the treatment may be expensive and needs to be taken for 2-3 years. I wouldn't recommend it if your son't symptoms are mild to moderate.
Besides immunotherapy, there are anecdotal reports that other alternative remedies from ayurveda has helped a few patients. You may consider it.

Definitely "prevention is better that cure" holds good with regards to seasonal allergies. Therefore please learn all this allergic triggers and avoid it. Some suggestions that I give my patients with seasonal allergies are:
1. As you pointed out, it gets aggravated during winter and autumn season. Therefore keeping him covered during winter and autumn helps.
2. Use face mask whenever you take him on a drive
3. Avoid visiting parks and garden during XXXXXXX and dusk.
4. Use seperate pillow cover and bath towels
5. Prevent him entering dusty rooms like store rooms
6. Use of humidifier at home.

Despite these suggestions if he ends up having an allergic episode, he might consider using saline nasal spray and an antihistamine drug like tab levocetrizine 5mg once at night.

In addition to these recommendation, I will also suggest visiting an ENT to rule out other associated nasal conditions like sinusitis and [persisting / hypertrophied adenoids.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other information.