vaginal sore, opening enlarged and red, greenish-yellow pus, bad smell. Could this be infection or STD?

About three weeks ago I felt a little sore in my vaganial area. The next day it hurt so bad to sit that I had to take a closer look. My urtheral opening was enlarged and bright red. I applied a little pressure to it and greenish yellow puss came out. It wasnt thick, but there was alot of it. and it smelled really bad. Ever since then I have to squeeze it out to releive the pressure. I have only had one sex partner, and made him get tested before we had sex. He was clean. so my question is: could this be some sort of infection or should I assume my boyfried cheated on me and its some sort of STD?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Let me first to say that you should not assume that your boyfriend is cheating on you at this point. There are some bacteria which can cause superficial infections of the urethra in the absence of a sexually transmitted infection.

I would recommend that you abstain from sexual intercourse for the next several days. In addition I would recommend that you take some warm soaks in the bathtub for 15 to 20 minutes at least once per day for the next several days. Also you might consider purchasing some antibiotic ointment at the pharmacy.

I would recommend that you apply this antibiotic ointment three times per day to the urethra for at least three or four days. Your symptoms should gradually improve.

Another consideration is that you might have a very mild only way to truly diagnosis would be to have a urinalysis performed. There are some pharmacies which have home urinalysis kits and you might consider trying that as well

These are the considerations that I have at this point. I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them here.

Dr. Robert