symptoms- one swollen eyelid (left) from eyelashes to eyebrow, a

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
symptoms- one swollen eyelid (left) from eyelashes to eyebrow, a little painful due to swelling, a little secretion only in the morning, a little itchy - going on day 3

My son is a 24 year old male medical student on a ship in St Kitts due to hurricane XXXXXXX aftermath- This is the second time it has happened in the past three weeks since he arrived on the ship. Dr on the ship did not know what it was but gave a prescription for Chloramphenicol. HELP! My son has NOT filled the script.
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you

I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.
Perhaps he has a bacterial infection of upper eyelid, may be a stye - swelling and pain are indicative of that.
I suggest a course of an oral antibiotic. Either a penicillin e.g either Amoxicillin and Clavulanate combination Or a Cephalosporin e.g Cephalexin or cefpodoxime, for a week.
Topically he may use an antibacterial eye ointment e.g ciprofloxacin eye ointment, at lid margin, twice daily.
These are prescription medications and I suggest that he asks his doctor for a prescription regarding the same.

Follow-up: symptoms- one swollen eyelid (left) from eyelashes to eyebrow, a 7 minutes later
Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us.