swelling at back of Lower leg and on the front

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
swelling at back of Lower leg and on the front of foot and Ankle it appeared very quickly is painful on achilles tendon
there was a sensation of a sting at back of ankle before it started..... have you advice
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The suddenly appearing painful swelling on one leg could be due to a deep vein thrombosis, hematoma formation due to a bleeding disorder or a muscle tear.
This needs a direct examination by an orthopedician and investigations like blood tests, color doppler of the legs for venous insufficiency and MRI scan of the leg for proper diagnosis.
The treatment will then depend on the cause.
Till then keep the leg elevated on two pillows to reduce the swelling and decrease your salt intake.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.