suffering from neurocystecircosis. Taking eption. How long should I take the medication?

Question
I am suffering from neurocystecircosis from 2008 & taking 300mg eption every day. from 2008 there was not happened any seizer. let me know how long I have to take medicine.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Epilepsy

Answered by Dr. Prasad 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can stop after EEG... Detailed Answer: Hi, The general protocol is to try stopping antiepileptic medicine if patient is seizure free from more than 2 years. You reported that you are seizure free for more than 5 years, so you are eligible to be tapered off eptoin. I generally recommend my patients to consult their neurologist and get an EEG recording done before withdrawing eptoin. Consult your neurologist and after EEG recording, you can be tapered off eptoin. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards

Follow-up: suffering from neurocystecircosis. Taking eption. How long should I take the medication? 41 minutes later
a few months ago I have done CT Scan as per direction of neurophysician. to see my report he told me cyst is not there. so stop first venlor XR 37.5 & lonazep0.5 & then slowly eption 100 mg by reducing dose. but I am uncomfortable to do so.so pls give me ur best opinion.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Eptoin can be stoppped... Detailed Answer: Hi, As I said earlier if you are free from seizure for more than 2 year, all antiepileptic drugs can be stopped. I understand your apprehension. The risks of seizure can be noted by EEG. This test records electrical activity of the brain. If there are seizure activity from the calcified granuloma, it may be documented. A normal EEG record should convince you to go off eptoin. I also concur with your treating doctor that eptoin should be withdrawn gradually. You can be tapered off 300mg over a period of few weeks to few months based on your doctor's preference. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards

Follow-up: suffering from neurocystecircosis. Taking eption. How long should I take the medication? 34 minutes later
Hi I am agree with ur opinion. Again I want to do consult famous neuro phisician & will go for EEG.I am in Delhi if you know such doctor in Delhi. please let me know the docto'r name.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX at Fortis.... Detailed Answer: Hi, I do not have personal reference of neurologist in Delhi, but I have read about Prof Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I think he currently practices at Head of Neurology, Fortis Hospital, New Delhi. You may want to consult him. On the contrary, now since you are free from symptoms and have been well managed by your current doctor, I do not feel there is a need to see a second doctor. If you are fine with your current doctor, discuss with him/her. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards