sore nipple, white discharge from breast, spotting, cramps, full breasts

Question
I feel very pregnant,3 weeks ago my nipples were sore and i had white discharge in one breast.I got my period the following week and it was different from usual I was spotting the first day and then on the second day i had brownish reddish spotting i had really painful cramps,i slept for 12 hours in 2 days and i had to pull over on the 3rd day and take a nap for 15 minutes cause i was so tired.the following weekend(this weekend)my breasts feel full and i feel like im going to get my period again I took a pregnancy test from dollar tree an it came out negative.Im confused
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 minutes later

Thanks for posting this query. The chances of pregnancy cannot be denied from these symptoms especially if you are to get your regular menstrual periods. The bleeding that you had could have been due to midcycle bleeding or due to hormonal imbalance. In pregnancy, the growing tissues of the new conception (early fetus) secrete a special hormone into your body called ‘human Chorionic Gonadotrophin’ (HCG). This enters your blood as early as one week following fertilisation.

To confirm the status of your pregnancy you should do a urine for pregnancy test and if it comes negative then get a serum HCG test done. Sometime it may be possible that urine for pregnancy test can give you false negative results during early days of pregnancy only because of un- sufficient level of hCG to make test positive. So it is important to get serum HCG test (blood pregnancy test) done which is more specific than urine for pregnancy test.

If pregnancy is ruled out then hormonal causes need to be ruled out from a gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: sore nipple, white discharge from breast, spotting, cramps, full breasts 34 hours later
so what your saying is that i cant be pregnant?My body feels very different i dont know whats going on.I never had a mid period,I probably would go with the hormonal imbalance.I feel achy and my back feels sore

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back. From the symptoms as mentioned before, the chances of pregnancy are possible and cannot be denied. However pregnancy status needs to be cleared by means of urine for pregnancy test or a serum pregnancy test which is better and more reliable than a urine for pregnancy test.

Once pregnancy is completely ruled out by means of a serum pregnancy test, then hormonal imbalance should be investigated by means of getting the various hormonal levels in a hormonal assay done.