I was told I have sinusitis. I have been on antibiotics 2-3 weeks. I have having pain like severe heartburn those weeks, very very painful. My doc prescribed Vicodin and said the sinusitis was causing it. I fear that something else is wrong and the pain is really intolerable. female, age 67, otherwise good health, occasional afib but heart is fine. pain is not accompanied by shortness of breath or physical hampering so I think not cardiac. Very frightened at intensity. Desperate to knw what to do. Can sinusitis really cause this much pain in the esophagus(?)
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later

Sinusitis or the antibiotics that you are taking are not likely to cause so much of pain in the oesophagus.
If it is oesophagitis or heartburn , you can take a few general measures and see if your problem is relieved.Try raising the head side of your bed by about four inches with blocks. Avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you go to bed. To help control the stomach acid, do not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

Also, you can take antacids after your meals and drugs like Ranitidine or Omeprazole for better relief.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.