red area on feet, swollen feet, itching, taken Aleve

hi I have a red area on top of each foot and my feet are swelling up, it started yesterday with the top of both feet itching where the red areas are since then, about 18 hrs. ago my feet have swollen up over the ancel area, it is not 'hot' and no longer itchy , I have taken two Aleve tabs, this has not helped, on the left foot i can see a tiny dot on the red area, could this be something really serious that I should go to the emergency for ?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later

The complaints that you say are non emergency. You do not have to show up at ER.

The feet swelling could be because of oral steroids like Symbicort can come up with skin rash too. You can pick an over the counter medicine with Antiitch lotion like calamine and mild steroid like Hydrocortisone. Aleve will not help any longer. Oral Antihistamines help if the itch continues.

You can seek an appointment from your primary and get a better medication after inspecting the lesion.

Hope this helps.