pain around back left side mid rib area, gradual onset

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
pain around back left side mid rib area, gradual onset over past 5 to 6 days
can be very painful can diminish
had taken a break from exercising for 4 weeks (per Dr order) due to face mohs surgery. Started mild weight lifting did not notice problem then seems to be worse when i wake up or after I sit oddly or lift something (heavy pot out of oven) No fever. Hurts at times as I breathe in or out. Pain can get better at times.
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Muscle strain

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

This presentation is very typical of a muscle strain in that region near the ribs. It can be aggravated by bad posture and unusual habits like lifting weights in awkward posture.

Apply hot packs to the affected region. Take Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day for 5 days after meals. Avoid lying in uncomfortable positions. Avoid bending forwards or lifting weights.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu