is oil massage and applying talcum powder mandatory for a 1 month old and what causes gas in babies?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
My baby is 1 month old. Below are my queries 1. Is it mandatory to apply talcum powder? 2. Is oil massage mandatory? 3. Gassy sound comes up. I am breast feeding and I am not eating any gassy food items. What could be the reason? 4. Baby is already having cold for past 2 weeks and I am using nasal drops as suggested by doctor. We show him in the morning sunlight which is accompanied by slightly chill breeze. Is it the reason he is still having cold? Is morning sunlight mandatory?
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Passing gas is common and it subsides. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Applying talcum powder is not mandatory. It is usually applied to body to absorb moisture and to prevent rashes that arises because of moisture. Oil massage is also not a mandatory one, but before bathing gentle and careful oil massage will make baby to sleep comfortably after giving bath in this age group. Gas sounds are common and it is a normal phenomenon in all kids around this age. The reason is because of swallowing air while taking feeds. To decrease the gas problem, do burping after each feed. And to look for proper attachment and latching to breast while taking feeds. As age increases, the gas problem usually settles down. Exposure to chilly breeze may be the cause for nose block. At this point, exposing the child to sunlight is not required; you can stop. If there is nose block, you can continue to use nasal saline drops especially before feeds and sleep time. Morning sunlight is not mandatory. Keeping the kid warm is the most important thing and avoid the child exposing to cold air. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: is oil massage and applying talcum powder mandatory for a 1 month old and what causes gas in babies? 4 hours later
If we dry properly with a towel, then we need not worry about the rashes, is it right? Regarding cold, we are using cloth napkin. We keep checking regularly if he has passed urine. He passes urine around 15-20 times a day. Sometimes, it happens that he is soaked in wetness. Could this also be a reason? Should we use diaper? Will it cause any rash to the baby?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Keep child dry and warm. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. Yes, if you dry properly with a towel no need to worry about the rashes. For cold you can use a soft cotton cloth napkin to clean the nose and do it gently. Change the clothing whenever the child becomes wet or passes urine and make him dry to prevent hypothermia. At home try to use soft cotton cloth made diapers and whenever you are taking the child out you can use the regular diapers, but use it for shorter periods if needed change frequently. Prolonged time using of one diaper may cause rash, hence try to change whenever diaper is full or wet. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.