infected by typhoid fever. Taking oral amoxicillin. Requied time for recovery?

My fiance has been infected by typhoid fever in Nigeria while on assignment there. He started to take oral amoxicilin after having fever for two weeks. What is his chance and time for recovery, and is Amoxicilin the drug of choice ? What time approximately would it take for him being able to board plane for US ?
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

I am sorry to hear about your fiancé.

Amoxicillin is not the ideal drug for Typhoid although it is effective to some extent. The drug of choice for typhoid would be either a fluroquinolone like Ciprofloxacin or Cephalosporin like Ceftriaxone along with Amikacin.

The chance of complete recovery is more than 95% with complete treatment and the time required is usually two weeks.

He should be fine to board the plane by 2 weeks of taking the treatment, comfortably.

Wish your fiancé a quick recovery.

Follow-up: infected by typhoid fever. Taking oral amoxicillin. Requied time for recovery? 9 hours later
Could my fiancee recover completely within two weeks on oral amoxicillin only taking into consideration that he was infected in Nigeria. Is Amoxicillin a drug of choice for non complicated cases in that region ??? Thank You for clarification.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 22 hours later

I am sorry for the delayed response.

Amoxicillin is the second line drug in uncomplicated case of Typhoid in a place like Nigeria. However, it is still not considered the first line drug.

If your fiancé has an uncomplicated typhoid, Amoxicillin would still work for him.

Yes, he could completely recover in a span of two weeks with completed treatment.

I hope this clarifies. Take care!