i used hydrogen peroxide in a nasal rince and now can't get it all rinsed out of my sinuses after a month.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i used hydrogen peroxide in a nasal rince and now can't get it all rinced out of my sinuses after a month it is still there
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

The use of hydrogen peroxide as a nasal spray or irrigation is controversial. Some alternative medicine practitioners recommend its use; however, traditional medical texts argue against exposing mucous membranes to hydrogen peroxide as it is a caustic chemical and may irritate the delicate mucous membranes. There is no specefic antidote for hydrogen peroxide excess or poisoning.

It seems you have raw, damaged sinus mucosa after using hydrogen peroxide rinse. So kindly consult an ENT surgeon for thorough examination to confirm the diagnosis.

Usually in such cases, symptoms may resolve if the mucosa heals but the time period may vary from weeks to months. It's not the chemical as it cannot stay and vaporises immediately but its the raw irritated mucosa which is your problem.

Kindly refrain from any further irrigation and consult the surgeon for assessment of severity and management.

I Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.