i had tested for ureaplasma and results came positive, i

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
i had tested for ureaplasma and results came positive, i asked my boyfriend to be tested too, he did and it came negative, i did take medication and waiting for second lab results, My question does it spread only sexually?
Posted Sat, 2 Dec 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ureaplasma infection is essentially a sexually transmitted infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Ureaplasma infection is essentially a Sexually Transmitted Infection. Rarely it can be passed on to baby either in utero or through vaginal delivery.
I can understand your concern.
You had not mentioned through what test it was tested. There could be rare incidence of false negative results in every test.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: i had tested for ureaplasma and results came positive, i 24 hours later
i had a pap smear.
if it is a STI why my boyfriends result came negative?
can this bacteria live in women flora regularly?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ureaplasma is not a bacteria in normal flora of a woman.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Ureaplasma is not a bacteria present in the normal vaginal flora of a woman. Some individuals will have innate resistance to some infection and not manifest the disease. Another possibility is, your boy friend's result would be a false negative one.
Sometimes repeated tests may reveal the infection.
Dr S Murugan