i am the care taker for my my 88 year

Cardiologist
Question
i am the care taker for my my 88 year old mother who has a history of high blood pressure. currently her systolic is running normal to slitely elevated but the diostolic is running low 160/45 150/52. my question is would there be a better Rx or Rx's to try to help level this out?? current Rx's listed below
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that this big difference between systolic and diastolic blood pressure (also called pulse pressure), is related to the age.

I would also like to know her symptoms. Does she feel dizziness, lightheadedness or fatigue?

I agree with you that her therapy may influence in her low diastolic blood pressure values. But before coming into this conclusion, I would first recommend performing some tests to investigate for other possible disorders (beside age), that may lead to this clinical scenario:

- a chest X ray study
- a cardiac ultrasound and resting ECG, to examine her heart function and structure
- complete blood count for anemia
- fasting glucose for diabetes
- kidney and liver function tests
- blood electrolytes
- thyroid hormone levels.

If all these tests result normal and she has symptoms like dizziness or lightheadedness, I would recommend discussing with her doctor on the possibility of stopping amlodipine, and switching to another anti-hypertensive drug, like moxonidine.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri