hello, how long colic pain exists for infants. is that

Pediatrician
Question
hello,

how long colic pain exists for infants. is that good to use colicaid in evenings daily? and how to identify it is colic pain as my baby is 53days old and she cries in evenings more and it is similar for all needs. couldn't understand is that really for colic pain or not. kindly help.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Exclusive breast feeding should help. Proper burping is important.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Let me first ask whether the baby is exclusively breast fed or whether formula feeds are being given. Formula feeds are difficult to digest and babies often get colics especially when on formula feeds. Needless to say, colics cannot be something 'good'. In such a case switching back to breast milk should provide relief. You should burp the baby for at least 15-20 mins after each feed. All you need to do is to hold the baby head end elevated for this duration. The extra air taken causes distention and hence colics. Proper burping will ensure its escape and the milk will not regurgitate back from the stomach to the food pipe, thus providing relief. You can otherwise continue to give Coliaid when needed. It is safe and can be given without any worries.

The nature of cry of children varies with the stimulus behind. It can be hard for an untrained ear to discern between the nature of cry. But as time goes by, you would get familiar. Till then there is no shortcut to familiarise you with the distinct nature of cry during colics.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: hello, how long colic pain exists for infants. is that 27 hours later
thank you.. she is exclusively breastfeeding from 1week, we use to give formula earlier as my breastmilk is low. can we use gripe water?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be given

Detailed Answer:
You can give gripe water. It is a simple alternative to Colicaid.
Breast milk is produced on demand. Switching back to exclusive breast feeding (by removing formula) will automatically increase the amount of breast milk production. If the baby passes urine more than 6 times in 24 hours you would know that feeding is adequate.

Follow-up: hello, how long colic pain exists for infants. is that 19 minutes later
yeah she is passing urine more than that. how and when to use gripe water

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
It indicates that there is no crisis of breast milk production.

Detailed Answer:
The fact that she is passing urine more than that indicates that there is no crisis of breast milk production. Formula feeds are therefore unnecessary and can be withdrawn.

Give gripe water or Colicaid in case of excessive and unexplained crying. Just take a spoonful or two of gripe water and give it to the child.

Follow-up: hello, how long colic pain exists for infants. is that 13 hours later
okay thank you.. from last two days she ie crying in nights between 11 to 3. even after giving colicaid. is this also colic pain?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be seeking personal attention. Unlikely to be due to colics.

Detailed Answer:
Such things are common in children. It is not necessarily due to colics. The child is possibly craving for mother's touch and would like to be cuddled (something that might be hard for you in the middle of the night).

Follow-up: hello, how long colic pain exists for infants. is that 38 hours later
is that advisable for me to take swine flu vaccine as am breastfeeding? my baby got vaccinated(6th week- IPV, Hib, hepatisis b, rotavirus and pnemococal ) on 28th October. we do have 10th week vaccination coming on November 28th. do we any affects?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Optional, not essential.

Detailed Answer:
It is an optional vaccine and so the choice is yours.
It is not an essential one.
I could not understand what 'affects' you are talking about.

Follow-up: hello, how long colic pain exists for infants. is that 1 hour later
i can take swine flu vaccine while breast feeding? is there any way effect baby?

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be taken.

Detailed Answer:
Yes you can take it. No, it will not affect (harm) your baby.