having problem of low blood pressure. Is it safe?

My daytime blood pressure is about 117/65. When sleeping my blood pressure is about 110/56. Is it safe to have that low a blood pressure while sleeping?
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The blood pressure is expected to fall during sleep, this is referred to as dipping.The lowest blood pressures usually are found in the first part of the sleep cycle.The decrease in pressure is thought to be due to dilation of the blood vessels.

Some medical studies have found that it can decrease by as much as 19 % compared to waking blood pressure.

The absence of this decrease is associated with an increased risk of disease and complications. It is thought to cause an increased risk of complications from high blood pressure.

The blood pressure of 110/56 is not a XXXXXXX blood pressure. This is a blood pressure reading that would be reported normally by many persons during waking or sleeping hours with absolutely no complications.It is not a abnormal or remarkable blood pressure.
Some persons have blood pressures lower than this, with the systolic reading (the top reading) in the 90's, they would be treated only if they present with symptoms such as dizziness, shortness of breath.
If they are asymptomatic then treatment may not be initiated.

Your blood pressure dip implies that the systems involved in reducing blood pressure during sleep are working, which is good.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: having problem of low blood pressure. Is it safe? 14 hours later
My concern also is about the second number, the diastolic number. Though it may not be as important as the systolic number. Just curious about the diastolic being somewhat low? But then as you've already answered my question, if I have none of the side effects then there is nothing to wory about. But could you comment also on the diastolic low reading?
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later

The diastolic number is also important, it represents the pressure in the vessels as the heart relaxes.

A normal diastolic is less than 80 mmHg so that yours would be considered normal at 56 mmHG.
This value would not be considered too low.

A low blood pressure reading (referring to both systolic and diastolic readings) is considered problematic if it is associated with symptoms which can only occur during waking hours.
The low blood pressure means there is a reduced risk of heart disease and stroke.

Your blood pressure value is expected to drop as you sleep, if it didn't this would be a problem. These values do not mean that there is any decreased blood flow to any of your organs, they are healthy normal readings , both are seen in normal healthy persons.

I hope this allays your fears

Please feel free to ask any other questions