Ask a Urologist   »  

have pea size lump over the shaft of penis. Not itchy. Ointment to remove it?

I have what seems like less than pea size lump over the shaft of my penis ... this has developed in past 2-3 months.. doesnt pain ... no itching ... is there any ointment i can use for the removal
Posted Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 22 minutes later

From your description it appear that you probably have Molluscum contagiosum. It is caused by viral infection of skin by virus. It is usually a dome-shaped, pink, waxy papules that are 2-5 mm in diameter with pitting/dimple/umblication on top.

In your case diagnosis need to be confirmed. You can show it to some dermatologist for final diagnosis. You can also search its picture on net to match it with your lesion.

It is a STI (sexually transmitted infection), which can occur due to unprotected intercourse. You should get tests like:
HIV Eliasa, VDRL, Complete blood count

Infection used to cause anxiety in infected person. But do not worry. It is self limiting problem and in most of the cases lesions disappear in 12-24 months.

Molluscum contagiosum in the genital region should be treated to prevent further spread through sexual transmission. Following steps will help you:
-Take healthy diet and multivitamins daily to increase your immunity.
Following treatments are options but should be delivered by specialist only.
-Podofilox: a purified form of the main ingredient in podophyllin (an agent that causes skin to loosen and fall off) may be used as it is frequently prescribed for genital warts. Usually, 0.05 ml of 5% podofilox is applied twice daily for three days.
-Cryotherapy: killing the virus by freezing the papules with dry ice or liquid nitrogen
-Salicylic acid
-Trichloroacetic acid (TCA)

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal
Follow-up: have pea size lump over the shaft of penis. Not itchy. Ointment to remove it? 26 minutes later
Dear Doctor,
As per your recommendations i checked the pictures over the net. but what i have doesnt seem to be Molluscum contagiosum. I clicked few pictures which i would like to share so i uploaded few pictures .. kindly go through them and see if u can get a better idea .. as the lump of skin seem to be dead skin and not painful at all ..
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 17 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Yes, from pics it is not Molluscum contagiosum. It is a fungating growth, which usually occur in cancer and human papiloma virus infection.

You should visit surgeon as soon as possible for biopsy of the tissue to rule out presence of cancer.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.