have had all tests done. Result showed prolactin has doubled. Suggest?

Infertility Specialist

Hi there. A few days ago I made the following tests and please help me to read the results. Research has been done in the fasting state, at the 3rd day of menstruation. I have to make a consultation is Endocrinologist. So I decided to do first online consultation with such professional. The results show that prolactin is almost twice increased. What causes this and what is the way to treat? What other tests are needed to do? I'm terribly sorry, but I can not write well in English, but I hope you understand. Thank you in advance for your help.

FSH 19.8 mIU/mL

Follicular phase 2.5 - 10.2

Midcycle peak 3.4 - 33.4

Luteal phase 1.5 - 9.1

Pregnant < 0.3

Post Menopausal 23.0 - 116.3

LH 11.15 mIU/mL

Contraceptives 0.7 - 5.6

Folicular phase 1.9 - 12.5

Midcycle peak 8.7 - 76.3

Luteal phase 0.5 - 54.0

Reference Values 4.5 - 12.2 ug/dL

Please note: New reference range as of 9/04/2013

T3-Uptake 36.0

Reference Values 22.5 - 37.0 %

TSH 3rd Generation 1.40

Reference Values 0.36 - 4.42 uIU/mL

T3, Total 85

Reference Values 60 - 181 ng/dL

T4, Free 1.19

Reference Values 0.8 - 1.8 ng/dL

ESTRADIOL 20.0 pg/mL

(by day in cycle relative to LH peak)

Menstruating females

Folicular phase (-12 to -4 days) 19.5 - 144.2

Mid-cycle (-3 to +2 days) 63.9 - 356.7

Luteal phase (+4 to +12 days) 55.8 - 214.2

Post-menopausal Females (untreated) <32.2

PROLACTIN 48.3 ng/mL

Reference Values 2.8 - 29.2

Pregnant Reference Range 2.8 - 29.2 ng/mL

Postmenopausal Reference Range 1.8 - 20.3 ng/mL

Reference Values 14 - 76

Optional Information:

Person's Gender: Female

Person's Age: 41
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Prolactin fine if no symptoms

Detailed Answer:

Your prolactin is fine, if you are not having symptoms like headache, giddiness, blurred vision. If you have any of these symptoms persistently, then you need to do MRI of brain to rule out pituitary tumor.

More important, if you are trying for pregnancy, you should try for it at the earliest with a method which gives highest success rate like IVF. This is because your FSH & LH levels are elevated indicating reduced ovarian reserve (reduced number of eggs in ovary which can give pregnancy). Consult infertility at the earliest for the same.
Your other test reports are fine.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Follow-up: have had all tests done. Result showed prolactin has doubled. Suggest? 36 hours later

I took my MRI result. Can you help me with result.

mri of brain and pituitary gland
7 cc of gadolinium this was infused intravenously
HISTORY: Hyperprolactinemia and blurred vision
No prior studies available for comparison
FINDINGS: There is a partially empty sella turcica. No mass is identified. The pituitary stalk is midline. The optic chiasm is unremarkable. Gray and white matter demonstrate normal signal intensity on all pulse sequences. There is no acute infarct or mass. There is no abnormal parenchymal or leptomeningeal enhancement. The ventricular system is normal. The posterior fossa and brainstem are unremarkable. Orbits are grossly unremarkable. The XXXXXXX carotid artery and basilar artery flow voids are patent. Paranasal sinuses are well-aerated.
IMPRESSION: Partially empty sella turcica. No masses are identified.
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Partially empty sella - incidental/pathological.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
MRI finding of partially empty sella can be incidental (of no consequence) or pathological. As you are having symptom of blurred vision, please consult endocrinologist & get pituitary function tests done. After test reports only the significance of MRI finding will be clear.
Your prolactin value (if you are not taking any medicines to suppress it) is not very high to cause concern, the cause of concern is the symptom of blurred vision. If all pituitary function tests are fine, you need not worry & disregard MRI finding as incidental. If anything is abnormal, you can get treatment accordingly.
If every test is normal, you need to consult ophthalmologist for blurred vision.

Let me know if you have other concerns.