had unprotected sex after finishing the period. Any chance of pregnancy?

I had sex last night with my husband without a condom,the duration was short,he took his penis out when his semen was about to erect, but he is not sure whether he was able to took it out at right time. Is there a chance of pregnancy? My period ended just 3 days back.if there is a possibility, how to get rid of it? Please suggest some medicines to avoid this pregnancy..
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are anxious about the possibility of pregnancy after having unprotected sexual intercourse with your husband last night. Now, firstly, since your period has ended just 3 days back, you are NOT in your fertile period. So, it is very unlikely that you can get pregnant even if you have had unprotected sexual intercourse.

The "withdrawal method", that is, when the male partner withdraws his penis just before ejaculation is not a 100% effective method of preventing pregnancy. So, you have to be careful about this in the future. But again, since you are not in your fertile period, your chances of pregnancy are very minimal.

However, if you don't want to take any chances, you can take an "emergency contraceptive pill", in order to prevent any chances of pregnancy. You can get this at your local pharmacy, without a prescription.

Tablet name: i-pill (other brands available: unwanted 69, t-pill72)
Dosage: single dosage
How to take: one tablet, after meals
When to take: as early as possible, within 72 hours after unprotected sex

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist
Follow-up: had unprotected sex after finishing the period. Any chance of pregnancy? 4 hours later
Is there any side effect of I-pill? I am married for 1month and want to have kid in future. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 19 minutes later
Hello again,

i-pill has no long-term or serious side effects, and is safe to use for almost every woman. It does NOT affect your chances of having kids in the future. So, you don't have to worry about this at all.

Some persons may experience mild side effects like vomiting sensation and headache after taking i-pill. You might also have some light lower abdominal pain or have some tenderness in your breasts. All these side effects should stop on their own, within a day or two. Also, your next period may get slightly preponed or postponed by a few days. Again, this is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist