had genital herpes, had mutual touch in genital areas. Penis started to itch, yeast infection. Herpes again?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-11 AT 10:03 PM (CDST)

I have been living with genital herpes for over 20 years.
I do not have outbreaks often or take medication.
The infected area is not on my front side.

Recently I was in a situation where contact was made with unknown partner.
It was not penetration. Mutual touch and masturbation of all genital areas including anus.

The next day my penis shaft below head, was itching like crazy and later this day I have very red band near the head, but on the shaft completely circling the entire shaft around.. I have had no more itching or sores since day one. (The day after contact)

14 days later and still really red I went to a Dr.
He gave medication for yeast infection and told me to use foot fungus cream for 2 weeks. Not really seeing too much improvement since the visit. I also got oral fluricide? Anti fungal pills x 3 days. The skin where the redness is , is becoming very shiny and smooth. Almost like new skin.

I attached pictures.

Pay attention to the shaft area below the head and let me know if anything looks like herpes in your opinion please. The cream is making me very dry, but you will still see the redness ring. I have no had any blisters or open sores. Getting test from blood will not give me any answer as I already know I am HVP positive, but not in this area.

What I really need to know is if this looks and sounds like a new herpes infection. It is driving me crazy.

Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query and also for uploading the pictures. I am sorry but I could view only one among the four pictures that you sent me.

The picture and your symptoms suggest something like Balanoposthitis and not Herpes sores.

Herpes presents as one or more blisters on or around the genitals or rectum. The blisters break, leaving tender ulcers (sores) that may take two to four weeks to heal and scab over the first time they occur.

Balanoposthitis is an inflammation of the foreskin and head of the penis. It can be due to infection especially fungal infection, harsh soaps, or failure to properly rinse soap off while bathing.

You should consult your primary care doctor and get a culture swab and a KOH examination of the skin of the foreskin done to rule out any infection. Till that time, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin.

Wear cotton clothes and use as mild soap like Cetaphil for cleaning the penis. You can also use some topical antimicrobials like Bacitracin or Lotrimin after consulting your doctor. Continue with the prescribed treatment.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.