got injured. Had stitches in lower area. Area feels tender, red and swollen. Should I be concerned?

My husband had an injury at work on Monday morning, in which he was taken to the ER and had stitches (4) to his lower right XXXXXXX area. For the past 2 days,, there has been an area approximately the size of a lime that is red, tender and pitting to the inside of the trauma area. Today, the area has increased to the size of an orange and spread to the right side of the suture area. He says that it doesn't hurt, but is tender..and is quite red and takes approx. 30min to an hour to return to normal if you press lightly on it. Is this normal or should he return to his physician?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 47 minutes later

No, persistence of the redness and swelling is not normal. The signs you explain indicate wound infection.

I suggest yo to visit his treating doctor again, to get examined and rule out wound infection. Do not delay.

Hope, I answered your query.