can I use Javex to clean wound?

Question
can I use javex to clean wound?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

No, You should not use this to clean wounds.

Javex(Sodium hypochlorite) is a hazardous chemical which can cause chemical burns on the skin. So please do not use this.

Instead you can use Tincture Iodine solution or Hydrogen peroxide solution to clean the wounds.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please accept my answer if you do not have any more queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: can I use Javex to clean wound? 1 hour later
Hello Dr,
An other question is ,can we use vinegar lo clean the wound on a diabetic pacient?
Thank so much

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 7 hours later
Hello again,

Thank you for the follow-up.

Vinegar does have weak antiseptic properties. But it is not recommended as a routine household antiseptic simply because there are far superior antiseptic solutions such as iodine and hydrogen peroxide which are a thousand times potent and less irritating to the skin.

So, if you do not have any alternative, you can use vinegar to wash the wounds, but the concentration should not exceed 0.05%.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any more queries.

Regards.