Zoon's balanitis, calendula cream. Side effects?

i have been diagnosed with zoon's balanitis since last one year. I am applying a calendula cream which is keeping the same under control. However I wish to know whether use of the cream for long period will have some side effects? Also whether the long suffering from balanitis leads to any further complications. Presently I am nt having any other trouble from it except feeling uncomfortable sometimes. Also is circumcsion the only remedy?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 45 minutes later

Calendula cream is a herbal cream applied to the skin to reduce pain and swelling (inflammation) and to treat poorly healing wounds and leg ulcers. As side effects it may cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to the Asteraceae/Compositae family.

If used in doses too high or frequent, calendula can cause skin wounds to weep and ooze, aggravate erysipelas (streptococcal infections characterized by deep-red inflammation of the skin and mucous membranes) and inflame infected wounds.

For zoon’s balanitis, nowadays it has been successfully treated with the carbon dioxide laser have been reported.

Other than that topical application of immunomodulator cream like tacrolimus cream has also been found useful. However the treatment of choice is circumcision, which is usually curative and there have been no relapses reported.

Long term balanitis can cause constricting phimosis, or inability to retract the foreskin from the glans penis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

I will be happy to answer your queries.