Ask a Urologist   »  

Your opinion about swollen testicle without pain?

My husband, age 76, Has a swollen left testtcle which grew in 2 weeks. No pain. Clear ejaculate. Obese. MD tells him to make contact with him in 2 weeks to determine if it's grown or edema has decreased. I am worrid about this slow method of treatment. What is your opinion? Ms XXXX XXXX
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: It may be appropriate to monitor first! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this hear of this swollen testicle that your husband has. Because of the absence of any disturbing symptoms, I think it would be a good idea to monitor and make sure this is for real a permanent finding or a transient symptom that warrants no aggressive measures. How big is the difference in size between these two testicles? Is it alarming or barely noticeable? Is he having edema any where else like the feet/ankles? Some of the reasons that can make a condition to be assessed and treated urgent are the symptoms. When there are very few symptoms that are not a threat too quality of live or have future implication on management or outcome, it is always prudent not to be too aggressive. The other concern I have is why he should have edema on one side only. Scrotal edema is often bilateral unless in certain conditions like cancer. Please, can you kindly upload a picture of this for me to assess and tell whether it may warrant any further immediate attention? I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish your husband the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Your opinion about swollen testicle without pain? 8 hours later
Swelling is on R testilcle only. Color is the same as the other. No pain. Size is size of a softball whereas the left one is the same siaze it's always been. He does say "maybe there is some discomfort in lower abdoman which he does NOT relate to this testicular edema. YYYY@YYYY XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 6 hours later
Brief Answer: No emergency as of now! Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. There is really no emergency right now. I will suggest you patiently wait and gather more information over the proposed two weeks. This would be more guiding and permit less aggressive measures to understand what is the exact problem if it persists. If he should develop ant pain or and exaggerated increase in size before this date, the you can always go in and get it attended to right away. In all, it is not a bad idea to wait so long as nothing new happens. if it should, get it looked into right away. I wish him well. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.