Young teenager had a bruise on knee. Noticed blue bruising on ankle that is spreading. Why are they sore?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am writing about my 13 year old son. He is 5'6" and weighs approx. 180. He recently fell and had a big bruise on his right knee. As it was healing we suddenly noticed blue and purple bruising around his ankle on the same leg. He didn't remember hurting his ankle. Now that bruising has spread all the way around the ankle. He can walk on it but the bruises are sore to touch.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Does your son have a fever ?

I have reviewed the attached photograph of your son's lower limb with the bruise.

Has your son every had red blotches on his skin before with minor trauma ?

Any frequent headaches, nose-bleeds, blood in sputum, urine or stool ?

Does anyone in your family have the same problem ?

It appears that the red blotches or bruises could be small bleeding points inside the skin. This could be due to blood platelets or coagulation defect.

If he has a fever it could be Viral infection which can cause bleeding spots or autoimmune disease.

Kindly give him food XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Give him plenty of fresh fruit juice. This helps to reduce platelet bleeding. Drink plenty of water. Avoid trauma as much as possible. Look for bleeding in nose, urine and stool.

If he has trouble walking or severe pain in the leg it is advisable to consult an Orthopedician to look for possibility of fracture, ankle sprain which may be causing the bruising as well. Sometimes one may not remember hurting one part of the body as the accident takes place very fast. He may be prescribed an elastic crepe bandage for simple ankle sprains and limited walking.

Let him avoid taking any medications for now. Just rest will do. Get his blood work done after getting him an Orthopedic consult to tell if his blood is normal in coagulation.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Young teenager had a bruise on knee. Noticed blue bruising on ankle that is spreading. Why are they sore? 8 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I have answers to the questions you asked.

Does your son have a fever? - No.

Has your son every had red blotches on his skin before with minor trauma? - No.

Any frequent headaches, nose-bleeds, blood in sputum, urine or stool? - No, none.

Does anyone in your family have the same problem? - No.

He has reported a little trouble walking just tenderness and slight pain when the area is touched. It's the first time I've ever seen anything like this.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for your reply.

The bruising could be due to underlying soft tissue damage.

It would be wise to get his limb examined by an Orthopedician to rule out hairline fractures as they can also cause a lot of bruising.

Let him not walk much. He can use support to walk if he really needs to. Let him rest as much as possible. He can take pain killers like Acetaminophen for pain relief, under medical supervision. Anti-inflammatory agents will also be useful to reduce pain and swelling, which is best taken after a thorough physical examination by his Doctor.

Do get his blood work done as well to rule out blood platelet and coagulation defects.

He should be fine in a couple of weeks provided there is only soft tissue injury and no hairline fractures and he does not walk much on the injured limb.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Young teenager had a bruise on knee. Noticed blue bruising on ankle that is spreading. Why are they sore? 6 hours later
Thank you. You are awesome. I followed up with his pediatrician today, and she referred us to an orthopedic specialist we're seeing tomorrow. We did blood work and x-rays just as you advised. Did I say you're awesome? You are. Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
Hi there.

Thank you for your kind words.

Kindly do follow up with me about your son's progress.

Wishing speedy recovery.