Yes,please. I am having bright red blood in my stool.

Excellent

Question
Yes,please. I am having bright red blood in my stool. Now,also mild pain on my upper left side. Should I make an appointment with my GP or go to ER
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2017 in null

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it depends...

Detailed Answer:

if you've seen just a few drops of blood then you can schedule an appointment with either your GP or a gastroenterologist. Otherwise a visit to the ER might seem more appropriate. Be sure to distinguish between a few drops of blood scattered on normal stool and bloody stool (stool mixed with blood in such a way that all the stool seems abnormal). The second case may indicate massive upper gastrointestinal bleeding which should be accompanied by symptoms of faintness (low blood pressure), thirst and fast heart rate (and of course immediate treatment would be required).

Bright red blood in the stool (and the toilet paper) usually indicates bleeding hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are veins of the anal area that may dilate and bleed when passing stool. Constipation makes it worse.

Other potential causes include an anal fissure, tumors of the lower part of the colon and some less common causes (like inflammatory bowel diseases, ischemic colitis and other forms of colitis).

So in conclusion, if bleeding has stopped and no other symptoms or signs still exist, then you can schedule and appointment. Otherwise please provide more details about your symptoms, describe the stool (color, consistency, etc) and anything else that may be relevant.

Kind Regards!