Yes, I just had a CT scan and it showed

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
Yes, I just had a CT scan and it showed that I have a 10 mm Right lung base pulmonary nodule. I am to go back for another CT scan this week of the chest. Does this show that I could have cancer of the lung?
Thank you for your answer,
Diane McGuffey
Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, possibility of lung cancer is more.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
At your age, 10mm lung nodule on CT scan is more suggestive of lung cancer.
But there are many other characteristics which suggest benign or malignant nature of lung nodule.
So please let me know
1. Do you smoke?
2. Do you have any previous CT scan or chest x ray in which this nodule was not seen?
3. What are your symptoms?
4. What is nodule's description in CT report? I mean margins, necrotic or Calcified or associated with mediastinal lymphnode etc.
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.

Follow-up: Yes, I just had a CT scan and it showed 32 minutes later
I do not smoke. I smoked for about 10 years but quit in 1989 and have not smoked a cigarette since that time. I have had no symptoms except getting out of breathe going up maybe ten to twenty steps. All it says on report is what I have mentioned and additional scattered atelectasis. I have no record of a previous chest xray. I know I had one in my early twenties. YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This can be benign nodule also.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Smokers can develop benign nodule.
But considering your age, malignancy should be ruled out first.
If in repeat CT scan, nodule appears benign then you will need CT scan again after 6-8 months.
But if it seems malignant then you will need biopsy to confirm malignancy.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.