Yeloow bowel movement. Removed gall bladder. Have sore throat, headaches. Can bananas be causing this?

Gastroenterologist
Question
For the last couple of days I have had bowel movements that are yellow. I have never had this before. I had my gallbladder taken out in 2002. I have been diagnosed with IBS. This evening I have started with a 99.4 fever, sore throat, mild aches, and headache. I have not had much of an appetitie since Wednesday. I have eaten a bland diet due to yellow stool. I eat lots of bananas. Can that be contrbuting to my stool color? I know it sounds silly. My glands also feel swollen. Please advise
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 13 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Stool colour is a function of food eaten and stercobilinogen secreted into the colon. Hence i donot think there is a need to worry for the stool colour. The only significance of the colour is when it is clay coloured which occurs in obstructive jaundice- no stercobilinogen is secreted. Eating lots of bananna may make the stool soft but doesnot change the color

Regarding the fever aches and the swollen glands, they appear to be a manifestation of a viral infection.

Hope this answers your query. Please write back if you have additional concerns.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Yeloow bowel movement. Removed gall bladder. Have sore throat, headaches. Can bananas be causing this? 11 hours later
When would be a time for me to woory about yellow stools, if ever?Thank you for the response.

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 20 hours later
Hi and thanks for the follow up,

Stercobilin normally gives the yellow colour to stool. Even in a jaundiced patient (due to liver disease) the yellowness persists. Hence yellowness cannot be used as an indicator for disease.

Some pathology indicated by stool colour-
"Rice water" in disrrhoea
"Peasoup" in Typhoid
"Clay" in obstructive jaundice
"Tar black" if there is blood

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Dr XXXXXXX