Yellowish brown stool, fussiness & gassy, on formula feeding, cry during sleep, taking similac powder, family history of lactose issues

Question
I just have a general question about formula feeding from what i have read online. From what I have read online formula feeding stood should be a light brown color. My child's stood are a yellowish brown. This is consistent along with increasing fussiness and gassy. She is only 11 days old and it took over 4 hrs for her to get to sleep on most occasions. When she does sleep, she moves constantly and bursts of cries every so often for a min or so at a time. I am not sure if this is normal. I thought if my child was having issues with the formula the stood would smell and it doesn't. Currently feeding her Similac powder formula, using store bought water. Family history on the fathers side has lactose issues. Do I change formulas, is this normal, etc.?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Does your baby have fever?
2.) Is your daughter being breastfed? If no, what is the reason?
3.) Is she having loose stools?

Your History suggests, nothing serious in your daughter's case as these things are absolutely normal in a neonate. One thing I would stress upon is breastfeeding which is very essential because it helps defend against infections, prevent allergies, and protect against a number of chronic conditions, which should be done exclusively for 6 months. You should have her examined by a Pediatrician so that he/she may examine her so that all other possible causes could be ruled out and confirm that there is nothing serious in her case.

Don't rely upon the information which you get online as they are not true most of the times. There is no strict condition that the stool should be light brown in color in a formula fed baby. If your partner is able to breastfeed, she should do it. There is no need to change the feeding formula, you can feed as directed by the pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Yellowish brown stool, fussiness & gassy, on formula feeding, cry during sleep, taking similac powder, family history of lactose issues 24 minutes later
1.) Does your baby have fever?
no

No, Mother decided against doing so. Accept and agree with your opinion, but Mother is making her own choice.

3.) Is she having loose stools?
Yes, stools are loose, color uniform.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 48 minutes later

Thank you for your response.

You daughter doesn't have a significant history except that not breastfed, I would suggest the mother to breastfeed the baby as it increases the Infection fighting capacity of the baby and pass normal stools regularly, but it is always a mother's call to breastfeed or not.

Kindly get her examined by a pediatrician, so that she can be examined and any pathology be ruled out.

Good Luck.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.