Yellow phlegm, nasal congestion, headaches, nauseous, chest and stomach tightness, endoscopy. Stomach cancer?

I spit up very yellow phelms thoughout the day. I have nasal congestion plus pressure and headache. I also feel nauseous. My chest and stomach feels tight when I breath. I'm also sneezing alot. For 4 days now i experiencing these symtoms. Along with that I have a feeling that my stomach is full and bloated. When I breath my chest feels tight with no coughing. I'm 28 years old. My rare concern is two unrealated symptoms and i'm scare of stomach cancer because i know it might cause bloating and feeling full. I had endoscopy done about a year and a half ago and it was clean.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 34 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

First of all I would like to reassure you that I am very very confident that you do not have stomach cancer. The symptoms would you have reported are not specific for any type of cancer.

The other symptoms what you have reported are more suspicious for something like allergy or possibly mild asthma. I recommend that you discussed these symptoms with your Flonase. Flonase is a topical steroid medication which comes in a nasal spray. People do very well with this medication over periods of time where allergies are a problem.

I recommended that when you are able that you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor again to discuss these symptoms. Quite often a brief course of these medications may provide an excellent benefit. If your doctor hears any wheezing in your lungs he might also consider giving you an inhaler. I think that you are less likely to have anything like asthma right now and more of your symptoms are due to a mild degree of seasonal allergies.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Yellow phlegm, nasal congestion, headaches, nauseous, chest and stomach tightness, endoscopy. Stomach cancer? 41 minutes later
So my stomach issue is benign? Why I feel so nauseos and feel the need to burp a while after I eat it can last for 4 to 5 hrs? I'm not sure if my stomach is bloated or I'm just getting fatter I think its more of bloating. I lay down and push all around it and it does not seem hurt. all these symptoms started 4 days ago along with stomach issue. I did alot of blood test for my physical 2 months ago. It was normal. I don't understand the connection between these two symptoms. That is why i thought of stomach cancer. Please tell me why are you so confident i don't have stomach cancer thanks.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 19 hours later

Yes your stomach condition is benign. The bloating may reflect a degree of diet to see if this helps.

I realize you are looking for reassurance here. You ask me to tell you why you do not have stomach cancer. I am confident because you have low risk factors - heavy drinkers and smokers are at risk and these are patients who drink and smoke for decades before achieving a high risk. If you ask any physician about bloating - stomach cancer is not something that comes to immediate mind at all. In addition there's no bleeding. Bleeding is commonly associated with cancer and this is certainly not the case for you.

Nausea and bloating are common symptoms related to irritation of the stomach or esophageal reflux. You might also consider a trial of taking omeprazole 20 mg twice daily for 2 weeks to see if this helps.

You are focusing on a rare and unlikely cause of your symptoms. Please find some reassurance in my words here. I am confident your symptoms will resolve within a couple of weeks. Focus on a healthy and well balanced diet and exercise regimen as well as this will certainly help your body get back to normal.

Thanks again for the query. If you have any additional concerns I am here for you.

Dr. Galamaga