Yellow fluid in left eye, swelling, unable to see, put water in it, slept, normal on waking, but bloodshot. Causes ?

A few days ago my left eye filled with a yellow-ish fluid causing my eye to patrude over the top of my bottom eye lid. I could not see out of this eye for about 2 hours. I flushed some water on it and went to bed, when i woke up it was back to normal but very bloodshot. Any idea what may have caused this?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

This sounds very suspicious for a Conjunctivitis.

Conjunctivitis refers to inflammation or infection of the thin tissue around the eyeball. This can be triggered by dust or allergens, viruses or bacteria. Most of the time our body is able to deal with this and recover with no residual symptoms.

Sometimes, however, it may become necessary to treat patients with medications, in cases of more severe Conjunctivitis.

It sounds like yours was a mild case and you have recovered quite well.

For now, I would recommend that you continue to observe things and I am confident that there is a low likelihood of any recurrence.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you have found this to be helpful and if you have any additional concerns, I would be happy to address them.