Yellow discharge from rectum that leaks, a discolored bowel movement with white mucus. What is it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have a yellow discharge from my rectum and it is leaking out while I am not doing anything. I noticed this this morning for the first time and has been happening all day. I did manage to go to the bathroom and it was small discolored bowel movement and with white mucus type stuff.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later

A yellowish discharge from the rectum with noticeable mucus in the stool might happen due to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease. Bacterial infection, anal fissure, or a bowel obstruction may also cause such symptoms.

Physical examination, stool analysis and sometimes colonoscopy are entailed here. These basic test are necessary to diagnose the condition and for appropriate treatment.

I encourage you to consult your primary physician and get the relevant investigations done for further treatment.

If this is a one time symptom then, you may as well wait and watch for it to subside on its own. Most of the time, it does.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.