Ask a Urologist   »  

Yellow discharge from penis, no pus cells in urine culture. Is it ok that I have been given Azithral?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i have been getting yellow discharge from my penis for last 8 months,i have shown it to my doctor he has given me Azithral 500 mg.there are no pus cells or any other pathogens in a urine routine and urine culture?is it ok that i have been given azithral?I also went through x-ray of pelvis area,uro-flowmetry test as well as ascending urothrogram ,
does it have any bearings on digestive system,cause i feel little bit of gastric problem for last two months,as i am not married and not staying with family i have to have food outside ,stool isn't that smooth (it comes broken ,little darker in texture,i don't have any pain or anything as such anywhere .i am a non smoker and i never take alcohol.I neither have liking for milk or milk products as such, occasionally i eat chicken.weight is around 72-73kgs and height is 5'9"-5'10".please let me know if its related to my urinary problem or what should i take to correct this,i also dont see any signs of blood in the stool,long back during summer i got stains of blood in stool ,as during that period i had very spicy food as well as non veg,but as i took simple food and fibre in a day a two it reduced and consequently went off.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Azithral containing the antibiotic azithromycin 500 mg is used for treating genitourinary tract infections and has good action against atypical organisms which can be missed on routine tests.
So your doctor has treated you appropriately.
It is possible that your bowel problems are resulting from a chronic infection as you are eating out frequently. Further tests like an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis to rule out inflammation and a stool routine and culture to look for parasites is warranted.
So kindly follow up with your doctor for the said investigations if symptoms persist even after a couple of weeks after completing treatment.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.