Yellow discharge from anus, oily texture, diet changes made, on low carb diet. Causes for discharge?

Question
Hi doctor,

Just went to the toilet and found out that there’s yellow oil coming out from my anus (I apologise do not know the medical term for this). The oil-like liquid has a very strong smell, like frozen fish.

I have recently changed my diet to low carbs, no sugar/ salt in take where most of my meals cover black coffee, XXXXXXX salad, steam fish, boiled chicken breast, baked beef and hard boiled eggs.
My body reacts fine for the pass week so I don’t think it’s from the diet.

I have searched online but couldn’t find an answer.

I went to the toilet again and try to squeeze my anus’s muscle to see if there's still any liquid coming out and unfortunately the oil-liquid is still coming out, with the strong smell. It went off after wipe but I am getting worried.

Texture of the liquid is OIL - appears very bright yellow on the toilet paper.

your help will be very much appreciated!
Thank you!!!

ET
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Radhika 5 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

Presence of oil like liquid coming out of anus most probably seems to be due to Steatorrhea.
It is caused due to increase in fat content due to fat malabsorption.

Sometimes there will be increase in fat content in stools leading to the production of pale, bulky, offensive and loose stools. One of the primary causes of malabsorption syndromes is Coeliac Disease.

You have recently changed your diet to low carbs, no sugar/ salt , black coffee, XXXXXXX salad, steam fish, boiled chicken breast, baked beef and hard boiled eggs.

In Coeliac disease (gluten-sensitive enteropathy)- when foods containing gluten are eaten, a reaction occurs that damages the lining of the small intestine. This impairs absorption of fat and other substances. There is a possibility, some of the foods may be causing you sensitivity.

The other rare causes could be Chronic pancreatitis, Parasites, Crohn's disease, Cystic fibrosis.

There is also a possibility that 'Fat Blocking Pellet' you are using right now maybe causing the symptoms, you could avoid it for a week and so and observe if symptoms reduce.

You will need to perform certain tests like :
1. Fecal fat determination.
2. Spot stool sample.
3. Breath test
4. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Yellow discharge from anus, oily texture, diet changes made, on low carb diet. Causes for discharge? 1 hour later
Thanks for your answer Dr. XXXXXXX

I have further searched online and found a forum where many patients are suffering the similar symptoms as I am.

They came to a conclusion that they have consume this kind of fish named Escalor, which is also known as snow fish/ butterfish where the fish has some kind of fats which are not dissolvable by human body hence the oil drops.

I've had steam snow fish last night for my dinner and discover the oil drops today. I have no diarrhea or stomach cramps, just oil drips.

Do you think it would be from the fish?
Do I still need to seek help from the local GP?

Thanks a lot!

Answered by Dr. Radhika 17 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

You have provided me with good additional information.

There is a possibilty that consuming Escalor does cause symptoms of anal oil leakage. To confirm that possibilty, you could avoid eating the fish for some time and see that it stops.

Since the effects of of anal leakage and digestive changes won't last more than 2 to 3 days. You could observe the changes and then decide to go to your physcian after this if it does not stop.

Regards.