Yellow and brownish semen. Reason?

Why is my seaman yellow and sometimes a little brownish
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Normal semen color is whitish yellow. With increasing age the semen can become more yellowish, less in volume and more thick. The other causes are infrequent ejaculation and infections like infections of the prostrate or STD. However if there is brownish coloration of semen then hematospermia or blood in semen should be ruled out.

It is most probably old blood (denatured haemoglobin giving it the brown colour) and can be caused by infections, swellings (inflammations), cysts, stones & other obstructive lesions, and benign or non-benign tumors of the organs of the genitourinary system.

If you are having it since a long time then you need to get certain investigations done. These include blood tests, routine & culture tests of urine & semen, ultrasound & MRI scans of genitourinary system and prostate examination and examination of the prostatic fluid and ultrasound prostate.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.