Yeast infection,white smelly discharge

i think i have yeast infection
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 3 minutes later

Why do you think you have yeast infection?
Where do you have the problem?
Do you have cheesy discharge?
How long you have the said problem?

Please give more details about you and regarding your symptoms so that I can help you better.

Follow-up: Yeast infection,white smelly discharge 22 minutes later
i have white discharge , and smells in my vagina
i have had it for years
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 31 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to me.

White discharge could be due to following reasons:
1. Physiological (Normal)
2. Fungal infection - Vaginal candidiasis
3. STD - Trichomoniasis
4. Bacterial Vaginosis

These are all treatable conditions and recurrences are known to occur frequently, if not treated adequately.

Vanginal candidiasis: Presents with extremely vulval itching, curdy white discharge. Treatment involves antifungal like nystatin pessary or oral ketaconazle which has to prescribed by your doctor.

Trichomoniasis: Presents fishy odour, white discharge. Itching is less. Though this is commonly transmitted as STD, other possible routes of contracting this infection is via common baths, toilets, towels etc. Treatment involves treating both the partner with metronidazole which has to prescribed by your doctor.

Bacterial Vaginosis: Presents with greenish white discharge, bad odor. Diagnosed via microscopy of the discharge. Treatment is with metronidazole for a period 7 - 14 days.

Before starting any of the above treatment, confirmation of the diagnosis is required. This is possible only with Gynecological examination. So I suggest you consult a gynecologist for further examination and treatment.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.