Ask a Urologist   »  

Yeast infection on penis that left grey scars. Scars got darker after anti fungal antibiotic. What is it?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I had some form of infection ( yeast more than likely) on my penis about 6 years ago and it left two, darkened grey/blue scars. I recently began a cycle of antibiotics for urethritis and developed a yeast infection. My urologist gave me a one time anti fungal pill over the phone.Since this started, my "scar", which is not raised, has become darker...almost black, in a matter of 2 days. In the previous 6 years it has never caused any problems and has not seemed to spread. What could this be?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
Your symptoms can be due to the present yeast infection which can cause skin inflammation therefore the raised and hyperpigmentation of the scar.
However if you have taken an antifungal then it is not likely to spread and more likely will resolve leaving a similar scar which you had.The darkness or hyperpigmentation may gradually fade over months to years.
Rarely there is a possibility of it being a drug reaction but in that case it should resolve after treatment stopped.In case it worsens or you develop such lesions elsewhere then please consult your physician to rule out a drug reaction to antibiotics taken.
A word of caution, any recurrent infections especially fungal warrants a further investigation to
rule out problems like diabetes, anemia etc which lower your immunity and predispose to
Follow-up: Yeast infection on penis that left grey scars. Scars got darker after anti fungal antibiotic. What is it? 11 minutes later
My biggest fear is cancer. I would assume that since it hasnt changer, cause pain, or anything of that nature and it coincides with the rash I had 6 years ago then it must be a scar...again, nothing raised, just pigmentation.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

As of the present symptoms, it doesn't indicate a cancerous lesion.

Cancer should be suspected if an old scar shows increase in size, irregular surface or pigmentation or pain.

But these changes are likely to occur gradually and not suddenly.

So at present it doesn't seem worrisome.

If you develop any new symptom as mentioned like pain, increase in dimension etc. then you should consult your doctor for confirming then diagnosis.