Xray showed mild hyperinflation and linear opacity. Having heavy chest, slight wheeze. On symbicort. Cure?

Two years ago, i had a normal chest exray, Recent xray: now have "mild hyperinflation" and "some linear opacity in lower left base that may be atelestatis XXXXXXX Recent symptoms, chest heavy feeling at times, slight wheeze, but no SOB or cough (though sometimes feeling of wanting to). Age 60, 22 yrs non-smoker, in generally good health. Symptoms came on somewhat suddenly, preceeded by a few days of low grade fever that has never returned. Gp has me on Symbicort, wants me to have another xray in 4-6 weeks. No spirometer test was done. Should i be seeking more testing or go the wait and see route?
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 30 minutes later

The symptoms and Xray findings point toward an infective process (which might have resolved by now) on the top of underlying chronic lung disease (may be smoking related). Overall, I think wait and watch with a course of antibiotics may be worthwhile.

I feel chances of anything serious is less. If symptoms persist or Xray changes continue to evolve then further testing with CAT scan may be contemplated.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer follow-up queries, if any.