X-ray,pulled patella tendon,fissure,dark circle on femur

My daughter aged 9yrs old had an xray on knee, patella tendon had pulled on patella pulling bone up whilst doing somersault at gymnastics. Doctor stated that radiologist had noted something a fissure or fistoid? on xray in her femur which was a dark circle on xray. Said it was probably from birth? but what is it and do I need to worry? Will she benefit from calcium supplements?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 55 minutes later

Asymptomatic fissure in long bone is not a cause of worry. Moreover it is an incidental finding while looking for something else on the Xray.

But can you tell me the exact description of the radiologic lesion?

If you can tell the exact site, length and breadth of lesion it will be helpful. Does she have any history of fracture of the femur or operative procedure on femur earlier to this incidental finding?

Fissure is normally seen in various brain structures and some skull bones. However congenital fissures can be sometimes seen in long bones like femur.

Calcium supplement are not likely to benefit. But you can give them for general well being and skeletal growth.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.