X-ray shows rotoscoliosis, spondyloisthesis, degenerative disc disease. Cannot walk, heaviness in legs. Explain

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
my xrays show ROTOSCOLIOSIS, GRADE 1 ANTERIOR SPONDYLOISTHESIS L-3-l4,DUE TO FACET ARTHROPATHY
DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE L3-L4
C4-C5 C5 C6 REDUCTION IN SPACE DISCOPATHY SHOULD BE CONSIDERED
DISK PROTRYSION L3 DOES NOT XXXXXXX THE L3 NERVE EXITING

AND THE OTHER DAY I FOUND I COULD NOT WALK MY LEGS FELT LIKE THEY WEIGHED A TON AND WOBLED I WAS WALKING LIKE I PASLEY

CAN YOU ENLIGHTEN ME
XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing in.

The report sent by you describes the findings on X-rays of lumbar region (lower back) and cervical region (neck). Findings have mainly included reduction in disc spaces. This could imply disc bulge or prolapse. If the disc bulge is more severe, it can press on the cervical and lumbar nerves (these nerves start from the neck and lower back respectively and supply the arm and leg muscles). The common complaints could be pain in the arms or legs, weakness of arm or leg muscles and numbness.

Further evaluation would require MRI scan of cervical and lumbar spine, which would show these findings in detail, and help in deciding the best treatment.

At this stage, treatment would require:

1. Medications to relieve pain,
2. Physiotherapy- to relieve pain and strengthen the muscles of neck and back

Please consult a neurologist/neurosurgeon for further treatment.

Please get back if you have any more queries.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad

Follow-up: X-ray shows rotoscoliosis, spondyloisthesis, degenerative disc disease. Cannot walk, heaviness in legs. Explain 11 hours later
this is the most recent withib last 30 days report the neurologist i saw said maybe decompression but no promises, what concerns me is the sudden onset of my legs and not being able to walk normal is the back problems causing this i have had 4 mri in the last 10 years and they have progressed to tthese problems
one other thing severe edema to the point if i am on my feet for more than 1 hour they can swell to were i have to use a cane just to get up and go to the restroom

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for getting back with more details. If the compression on the cervical or lumbar nerves or spinal cord is severe, it can result in weakness and numbness of arms and legs. Legs may feel heavy like a log of wood and it hampers with many activities such as walking, getting up from squatting position, etc. MRI can clearly show the extent and severity of nerve or spinal cord compression. The neurologist who has examined you is the best person to judge regarding the need for decompression surgery. Many people do improve with surgery. Surgery is likely to benefit most if done early during the course of illness (before the weakness is too severe and urinary symptoms are absent).
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad.