X-ray showed presence of bilateral bulky hilar shadows with clear lung fields. Meaning?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
my husbands x XXXXXXX report says bilateral bulky hilar shadows otherwise lungs fields are clear what does that mean
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 19 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

Presence of bilateral bulky hilar lymphadenopathy with clear lung fields can be suggestive of a condition called sarcoidosis.
Sarcoidosis is an immune mediated disease involving most commonly lungs and hilar lymph nodes.

Blood levels of ACE (angiotensin converting enzyme) levels are tested to confirm the diagnosis. Since, the findings are so characteristic that I am keeping it to be the first possibility.

Consult a physician or pulmonologist for a clinical examination and relevant tests.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal