X-ray showed hyoid bone broken. Not having any pain or breathing problem. Should I be concerned?

Neurologist, Surgical
My son had an xray done of his spine for head problems after a concussion 6 weeks ago. On the X-ray we noticed his hyoid bone is broken, but he has no pain in that area, breathing problems or swallowing problems. The Dr we were seeing, didn't think it was a problem, but he admitted it was odd. Is it ok? Do we need to do something? Will it heal? Thanks
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 hours later
Dear Friend,

Yes, it is odd but was fracture fresh or old, is there a gap at fracture site? If yes, it may be congenital also.

But any way, if your son has no problems nothing needs to be done.

Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Regards Dr XXXXXXX
Follow-up: X-ray showed hyoid bone broken. Not having any pain or breathing problem. Should I be concerned? 2 days later
Thanks for your reply. My son asked the chiropractor if it was a new fracture, old or possibly congenital -but he couldn't tell. He suggested we see someone else about it because if he has any trauma to the area, even minor, it could cause a problem. What doctor would be the best one to see -a neurosurgeon, ENT, or someone else? Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 3 hours later

You can ask a good ENT specialist or Neurosurgeon or even a Radiologist for that.