X-ray showed fractured bone at the base of thumb, MRI showed presence of cyst. Is this serious?

Dec 2012

Hurt wrist with middle finger that shows symptoms of' trigger finger 'I have had issues with my wrist for the last couple of years. I went to a doctor, had x- rays, MRI, ect. done. The doctor said I had 1: a fractured bone at the base of my right thumb ( said x-ray showed this). The MRI however, said there were some cysts. My question is : can I actually. have both going on? He wanted to do a bone graft and I don't remember what else. Now, I'm having issues with my middle finger. It feels sore and wants to lock up. I moved my thumb wrong one night in my sleep and woke up to pain radiating across my palm, my thumb and middle finger. What does all this mean and how serious is this? I didn't have the surgery because of finanical reasons. I know I can't avoid it much longer but was hoping for help in dealing in the meantime. please help if you can!
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 28 minutes later
You have cited a lot of problems that are presenting on your wrist and fingers. Hope to help you through this discussion forum. To answer your first question:
- Yes it is possible for you to have both a fracture and cysts (they might be very unrelated or a old fractured bone could lead to formation of cysts).
- If wanted to do a bone graft then it is possible that you might have a considerable amount of reduced bone tissue/mass. The cause for the fracture might be pathologic (given that you did not mention if there is a previous trauma or not or if there is an underlying diseases condition). Removal of the cyst might be needed if they are causing discomfort and pain.
- The presence of cysts could be responsible for a nerve compressive syndrome in any part of your hand starting from the wrist to the fingers.
What you can do now at home is use ice packs and pain killers. Avoid stressing that wrist and fingers. Practice self massage ( i.e if you can support the pain).
Then you have to see your doctor ok for better and definitive treatment.

Hope this helped and let me know if you got other questions.
Dr Nsah
Follow-up: X-ray showed fractured bone at the base of thumb, MRI showed presence of cyst. Is this serious? 21 hours later
I've had constant swelling of the area of my hand just below the thumb. Sometimes both sides of my wrist hurt. The downside is that I'm a hairdresser and, of course, it's my predominant hand ( right) that's giving me issues. The only injury I can think of is while I was in London, the door of one of the trains tried to slam shut on me. I threw up my hand to protect myself but that was a year before I started having problems. How could I fracture or break a bone and not know it until a year later? I have an appointment set for March 18th ( that was as soon as I could get in). Will I have to go through all of the tests ( and expense) all over again? I will try the ice packs and Tylenol..... I don't have any narcotics and try to avoid using them whenever I can. Will Tylenol maybe work?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 10 minutes later
Thanks for updating.

It is quite difficult to relate how long a silent fracture could have existed and what caused it. It could have been fractured a long time ago (say a year), being silent ( no continuous pain after a trauma), then after ''wear and tear'' or pressure on that hand, could result to fracture of the previous fracture. The mechanism is quite difficult to relate, but do know that silent fractures exist.
If your appointment is by the same doctor, I do not think he would be requesting any more tests except perhaps the x-ray to see if consolidation has occurred in between or the fracture is there.
Tylenol will do the job well. You may associate with ibuprofen or diclofenac for potentiative effect of the pain killers.

Let me know if you got any further questions.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.